Efficiency and effectiveness are two concepts that must go hand in hand to achieve success in any proposed goal. These features define a good professional and they equally characterize the company in which they work.
The staff of the Public Business Corporation of Navarra, CPEN, is made up of 1,600 professionals. Their daily work has been greatly challenged by events like the COVID-19 pandemic or more recently the war in Ukraine. All of them have indeed endeavoured to execute their work with the utmost dedication, commitment and talent in the interest of the common good.
Good results are a natural consequence when all these elements come together.
And this is the case at CPEN. It thrives and meets the objectives set every year, regardless of how changing or fraught with difficulties the environment may be.
The challenges keep appearing, the languages keep changing, but the objective that is fulfilled remains the same: to represent the real continuity of the public service developed by the Government of Navarra from the different work areas and the generation of wealth for Navarra.
For all these reasons, the Regional Government continues to rely on the public business sector and trusts that CPEN will continue to represent an example of a management that relies on sustainability and transparency to perform their activity in a balanced manner.
Juan Cruz Cigudosa García
Head of Economy and Finance of the Government of Navarra.
In compliance with the provisions of Act 8/2009 of 18 June, Public Business Corporation of Navarra, S.L.U. (CPEN) was established on 4 of November of 2009 with the mission of being the sole instrument unit of the organisation and rationalisation of a substantial part of the wealth of the Regional Community of Navarra, such as the public companies primarily.
On 18 January 2010 the Government of Navarra approves the transfer to CPEN all its shareholdings held in companies until that time, whereby the latter becomes the parent company of a major public business sector. Since then, as a result of the search for optimisation, effectiveness and efficiency, the number of public companies has been reduced from a total of 39 (including CPEN) to the 16 now existing.
Corporate Social Responsibility department and operational coordination
Financial and control department
Human Resources department
Department for procurement, investments and service provision
Below you can view both the consolidated annual accounts and CPEN's individual accounts for the past years.
2017Individual accounts CPEN 2017 (in Spanish) Consolidated accounts CPEN 2017 (in Spanish)
The first report published by CPEN attempted to transmit to the Navarra society and businesses the major milestones undertaken in the year 2014 by the public companies. Who we are, what we do, how and why we do it, in both economic and social terms.
We understand that it is not enough just to defend the work done by public companies, but transparency and accountability are key factors, and the companies need to be sustainable and continue creating value for society and business.
Our goal is not just to convey what we are and what we do externally, but to each one of the people that make up the group of public companies. Each and every one of us are essential pieces in this puzzle formed by the public business sector of Navarra.
The CPEN-Public Business Corporation of Navarra at Navarra's service: Report CPEN 2014 (in Spanish)
The Public Business Corporation of Navarra is probably the least known of the public companies of the Government of Navarra; something logical, on the other hand, because of our own functions.
CPEN's commitment with society is not only to use public resources in an effective and efficient manner, but also to get a balanced and sustainable public business sector which may serve as an element of transfer of values, which promotes the economic development of the Regional Community and enables the implementation of the policies of the various departments of the Government of Navarra.
Today CPEN is composed of 11 professionals who provide advisory services to the other public companies and the Government of Navarra -where so required-, in 5 major areas: procurement, investment and recruitment; communication; financial; legal and human resources.
Our main roles include the coordination of the operation and activities of public companies, according to criteria of efficiency, effectiveness and value creation, as well as designing guidelines and following up their implementation in the areas covered by the Corporation (see budgeting, strategic plans, funding structures, homogenisation, and communication policies, among other.). To do this, over time, procedures have been established to promote the in-depth knowledge of the management and the financial situation of the companies through reporting, budgets, etc.
Not less important is the responsibility assigned to CPEN to promote strategic projects that work for the benefit and in the development of the public business sector as a whole (such as Equality plans of public companies, Code of ethics and behaviour or processes for internalising or outsourcing management - as was the case of the Navarra Circuit, for example).
In short, CPEN creates value for the Government of Navarra through the implementation of the mandated functions...
- improving the management of Public assets
- enabling a strategic corporate implementation for the public business sector
- implementing homogeneous policies, common practices, and procedures for the improvement of management
- providing a common vision and enabling the transfer of ideas and good practices between companies
- reducing operating costs
- helping in the implementation of complex projects
- enabling a consolidated financial and economic view that facilitates decision-making
- being the single point that brings together all the information of public companies for the Government of Navarra
- reducing the management bodies
- and allowing for the participation of the Parliament in the management of the public business sector through its participation in the Board of Directors
CPEN is committed to the continuous improvement of the public business sector and to do this we will continue to work each day, confident of having a team whose good work, involvement and professionalism form the foundation of our present and future success, shared with each and every one of the public companies integrated in the corporation and their respective workforces.
The management and administration of Public Business Corporation of Navarra- CPEN S.L.U. corresponds to a Board of Directors, whose directors are appointed in accordance with the provisions of the applicable legislation on equity.
The composition of the CPEN Board of Directors will materialise with the proportional presence of men and women, such that in no case should the percentage exceed 60%.
The members of the Board of Directors shall be appointed by the sole shareholder of Public Business Corporation of Navarra- CPEN S. L. U. according to the following distribution:
- One third proposed by the Government of Navarra
- One third proposed by the Government of Navarra
- One third from among independent renowned professionals
The Board shall be chaired by the President in the Regional Community of Navarra who shall be an ex officio member of the Board within the third proposed by the Government of Navarra. Also, the minister of the competent Department in the field of equity shall be an ex officio member, within the third proposed by the Government of Navarra.
In line with the above, this is currently the composition of the Board of Directors of CPEN:
Regime of dedication to the roles of governance, administration, and management in each of the positions:
- Members of the Board of Directors: Attendance to the sessions and dedication necessary for the development of the functions inherent in their positions.
- Coordinator: Financial and control management,and the functions inherent in his office in accordance with the powers for which he has been empowered by the Board of Directors
Gross remuneration and other financial compensation paid in the previous year (2022) to each of the positions by concepts:
- María Chivite Navascués (Chair): Has not perceived any remuneration or compensation from the entity.
- Elma Saiz Delgado (CEO): Has not received remuneration or any economic compensation from the entity.
- Mikel Irujo Amezaga: Has not received remuneration or any economic compensation from the entity.
- Francisco Javier Garde Garde: Has received 1,400 euros, corresponding to the year 2022 in respect of gross travel expenses for attending meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Javier Onieva Larrea: Has not received remuneration or any economic compensation from the entity.
- Cristina Sotro Belzarena: Has received 1,400 euros, corresponding to the year 2022 in respect of gross travel expenses for attending meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Koldo Amezketa Diaz: Has received 1,400 euros, corresponding to the year 2022 in respect of gross travel expenses for attending meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Mª Carmen Segura Moreno: Has received 700 euros, corresponding to the year 2022 in respect of gross travel expenses for attending meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Idoia Zabaleta Arregui: Has received 1,400 euros, corresponding to the year 2022 in respect of gross travel expenses for attending meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Ainhoa Unzu Gárate: Has not received remuneration or any economic compensation from the entity.
- Asier Baztan Beperet: Has received 700 euros, corresponding to the year 2022 in respect of gross travel expenses for attending meetings of the Board of Directors.